Greek Gyro Burger
This Thomas'® English Muffin burger recipe had us saying Opa! Yum to the power of yum.
- 1 Thomas’® 100% Whole Wheat English Muffins
- ¼ lb ground chicken
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1–2 tbsp feta cheese (to your liking)
- ⅛ tsp salt (optional–the feta is salty)
- 1 tbsp spinach, sauteed
- 3 kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tsp mayo
- 1 tsp greek vinaigrette
- 3 tsp olive oil (divided into 1 tsp servings)
- 2 tsp butter (divided in half)
- Sauté spinach in olive oil until done. Set aside and allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes on the counter or 10 in the refrigerator. Once cooled, chop spinach into small pieces, and measure out 1 tbsp. Set aside.
- Sauté sliced red onion in the same pan with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter on medium heat. Watch it, so it doesn't burn, but don't stir often, just every 4 minutes or so until the onions are reduced, soft, and browned throughout. Wrap cooked onions in aluminum foil and keep warm in oven.
- To make dressing combine the mayo, Greek vinaigrette, and halved Kalamata olives in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside in refrigerator.
- In bowl, combine ground chicken, cold chopped spinach, oregano, and feta cheese. Mix with hands until combined. At this point, you may add a pinch of salt (remember, the feta is salty). Form the ingredients into a patty that is slightly larger than the English Muffin.
- Heat a 10” sauté pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp butter. Once melted, add your burger patty to the pan, and cook for 4–5 minutes on each side, when done it should be caramelized on both sides and firm to the touch.
- Half way through cooking your patty (when you flip it), split your English Muffin with hands or a fork and lightly toast.
- When done, put patty on bottom half of toasted English Muffin and top it with the warm, sautéed red onions. Spoon the olive/dressing mixture over the top of the burger, and top with the other half of the English Muffin.
Find a store near you.
Node Selected product from recipe Not Found, or Product Callout image not published
Embrace the hot mess.