Chili Relleno Sandwiches With Bacon
Chili Relleno. Bagels. Bacon. We're a heck yes to all three! Put them together and, well, the hunger is palpable.
- 4 Thomas’® Plain Bagels
- 4 poblano peppers
- 4oz Pepper Jack cheese, sliced
- 4oz Monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp crema
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to broil
- Place 4 poblano peppers on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Broil for 6 minutes, flip, then broil for another 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place aluminum foil over the pan and leave to steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove stems and loose skin. Carefully cut slit in middle and scrape out seeds. Divide your cheese up and stuff peppers evenly. Fasten closed with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, add flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, black pepper, and onion salt.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and eggs.
- Dredge peppers in flour mixture, then egg mixture, then flour mixture again.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry peppers for 5–6 minutes until golden, flipping once. Remove toothpicks.
- Split Bagels and lightly toast.
- Spread each Bagel bottom with 1 tbsp crema, then top each with a stuffed poblano pepper, bacon, salsa, and chopped cilantro.
Find a store near you.
One of our Faves
Thomas'® Plain Bagels
Whether plain or piled with toppings, our classic Bagels are tasty any time of day. They also make amazing sandwiches!
View Product for Thomas'® Plain Bagels
Your tastebuds’ best buds.