A tasty take on Trinidad's Doubles: a street food dish with chickpea stew, fritters, and now Thomas'® English Muffins.
- 2 Thomas’® Original English Muffins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained (save 2 tbsp liquid)
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Bring a pot to medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, and fresh thyme, season with salt & pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, chickpea liquid, allspice, curry powder, nutmeg, cumin, paprika, bay leaf and stock. Let simmer for 20 minutes, mashing some of the chickpeas to thicken.
- Crack eggs into a skillet over medium heat, and fry over easy.
- Split English Muffins with hands or a fork, spread each half with ½ tbsp butter and toast lightly.
- Spoon chickpea stew over each half, top one with fried egg and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Find a store near you.
One of our Faves
Thomas'® Original English Muffins
The original Nooks & Crannies® English Muffin. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and delicious any time of day.