The Treat Yo' Self Surf and Turf Sando
Created by Chef Evan Campbell
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp diced red onion
4 oz sirloin
3 oz fresh lobster meat
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
16 Tbsp butter (to clarify)
2. Heat a separate saucepan over medium heat. Heat vegetable oil over medium heat and place the sirloin into the pan. Sear for roughly 4 minutes. Turn and sear for an additional 4 minutes (sear longer if you prefer a more thoroughly cooked steak). About 2 minutes before removing the steak from the pan, add garlic and onion to the saucepan. Remove the sirloin from the pan and let rest on a board or platter for a few minutes before slicing.
3. While the steak is resting, add the butter to clarify to the pan with the garlic and onion in which the steak was cooked. This will allow the remnants to enrich the clarified butter and provide an incredibly delicious hollandaise.
4. Melt slowly over low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Skim the foam from the top, and slowly pour into a container, discarding the white milk solids in the bottom of pan.
5. Quickly poach the lobster in the warm clarified butter. This again enriches the sauce that really makes the dish really pop.
6. Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl until combined. Place the mixture over the simmering water and whisk constantly for 2 minutes or until the mixture has slightly thickened and warmed.
7. Remove the bowl from over the pan very slowly and whisk your clarified butter into the bowl until all of the butter is incorporated. This step must be done very carefully so the hollandaise does not separate. If needed, place the bowl back over the simmering water so that it will be warm enough to incorporate the butter. If the hollandaise is too thick, add a Tbsp of the hot water to thin it out. Reserve a little bit of butter to fry the egg.
8. In a separate pan, pan-fry the egg.
9. To plate this dish, thinly slice the rested sirloin. Toast the Thomas'® Original English Muffin to a beautiful golden brown.