Santa Rosa Bacon English Muffin Sandwich
Created by Chef Liza Hinman
1 small red onion, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 pinch red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
4 pasture raised eggs
2 Tbsp whole milk
½ Tbsp butter
8 pieces of applewood smoked bacon, cooked to crisp
4 oz goat cheese (can sub Cheddar or Fontina)
4 Thomas’® Sourdough English Muffins
½ C Sonoma Cabernet
1 C ketchup
1-2 tsp hot sauce (depending on spice preference)
2. Cut the kale off the stem, wash and roughly chop.
3. Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium flame, add the olive oil and the red onion.
4. Sweat the onions for 1 minute, then add the kale, garlic, red pepper flakes and good pinch of salt. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the kale begins to brown, add a Tbsp of water to help wilt without burning.
5. Once the kale is tender, remove to a plate and set aside.
6. Clean out the pan and place onto a low flame.
7. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until smooth.
8. Add the butter to the warm pan and turn the flame to medium.
9. Add the egg mixture and stir with a spatula to form soft curds. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper.
10. When the eggs are close to finished, turn off the heat and mix in the cooked kale. Set aside.
1. Place the Cabernet into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce down to 2 tsp and cool. Mix with the ketchup and hot sauce. Will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
1. Split and toast the Thomas’® Sourdough English Muffins.
2. Divide the egg and kale mixture between the 4 muffin bottoms and top with slices of the goat cheese.
3. Place english muffins on a cookie sheet and under the broiler for 1 minute to melt and lightly brown the cheese.
4. On the top of the muffin, spread ½ Tbsp Cabernet Ketchup.
5. Place 2 pieces of bacon onto each side with egg and cover with the top of the muffin.