Prosciutto, Egg & Banana English Muffin
Created by Chef Tim Byres
4 Thomas’® Original English Muffins
8 slices prosciutto ham (3 oz package)
¼ C cream cheese
1 zest of lemon
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp brown sugar
2. Next, whisk the seasoned eggs with your fork until completely smooth and incorporated.
3. Take the 4 Thomas’® Original English Muffins and split them in half. Add the eight sides to the bowl of whipped eggs, turning and coating until the egg mixture is completely coated and soaks up into the muffins evenly.
4. Next, mix the cream cheese, the zest of one lemon and the remaining ¼ tsp of salt.
5. Take the eight slices of prosciutto ham and fold them in half creating a square the size of the Thomas’® Original English Muffins. Reserve the ham folds on a plate until sandwich assembly.
6. Bring the banana to the cutting board and use a small utility knife to remove the stem but leave the skin surrounding the fruit.
7. Next cut the whole banana from top to bottom leaving you 2 long halves that still have skin on them. Next, cut the halves into qters. Place the qters flat fruit-side down onto the cutting board and lightly flatten the fruit with the palm of your hand against the peel. Remove and discard the skin.
8. The bananas are flat and ready to put in our breakfast sandwich. (Note: I flatten the banana so the sandwich is even when assembled and placed between the panini grill plates. If not, it can shoot out the side as the pressure of the grill is applied.)
9. Open the preheated panini sandwich grill and place one piece of folded Prosciutto Ham on the bottom plate of the grill.
10. Next place one of the egg soaked Thomas’® Original English Muffins open side, ham side down.
11. Spoon on 1 Tbsp of cream cheese filling, then one of the crushed qters of banana and top with ½ tsp of brown sugar.
12. Put the other half of the Thomas’® Original English Muffins, open side up and top with the remaining fold of ham.
13. Gently close the panini grill with light pressure so as not to smash the sandwich. The ham will become crisp and golden as the eggs cook, the cheese melts and the banana becomes sweet and soft. Cook time is about four minutes and the sandwich is ready when the ham is crisp, crunchy and hard.
14. Remove the hot sandwich from the grill with a spatula to a plate and continue the assembly method to finish the remaining sandwiches.