Nutella English Muffin French Toast
Created by Chef Dallas Miller
1 C red wine vinegar
1 C apple cider vinegar
1 C granulated sugar
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole peppercorns
½ C roasted, salted pistachios (shells removed)
6 eggs 1 C whole milk
¼ C granulated sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
8 Thomas’® Original English Muffins
2 Tbsp vegetable oil Nutella Mascarpone
½ C Nutella
1 C mascarpone
1 Tbsp chilled coffee Bourbon Maple Syrup
¼ C bourbon
1 C pure maple syrup
2. Add cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns to pot. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
3. While pickling liquid comes to a boil, cut tops off of strawberries and cut into qtrs. lengthwise. Fill a large Mason jar (or 2) with the strawberries as you cut them.
4. Once liquid has cooled slightly (about 150° F), pour over strawberries in Mason jar and seal the lid. (Any container that air-seals will work here, even a bowl with plastic wrap.)
5. Allow to cool completely before serving. The longer it pickles, the greater the flavor. (If you’re in a hurry, you can put the Mason jars in the freezer for 30 minutes to serve immediately.)
1. Combine eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
2. Preheat a large flat-base pan to medium heat. Add oil once hot.
3. While pan preheats, soak Thomas’® Original English Muffins in egg mixture.
4. Let excess liquid drip off muffins and add to pan. Cook on flat side for about 2-3 minutes. Flip and repeat. Remove from heat and plate muffins.
Combine Nutella, mascarpone and chilled coffee in a mixing bowl and reserve for plating.
Bourbon Maple Syrup
1. Bring a flat-base pan to high heat (until pan smokes just a little). Remove from heat and add bourbon. Return to flame to flambé. (Caution: Stay back from pan as there will be a large flame. If flame lasts for longer than 15-20 seconds, remove from heat and soak pan in the sink.)
2. Once alcohol has been flambéed out, add pure maple syrup and reduce heat to low.
3. Reduce sauce for 15-30 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon fully.
4. Pour syrup into a flat-base container and cool in the refrigerator. Once fully cooled, you should have a thick sauce that will stand up on a plate nicely. If not, return to pan and reduce further. If too thick, add a little bit of water and whisk until sauce thins.
1. Place pistachios flat on a cutting board. Use a sturdy flat-bottom pan or Pyrex mixing bowl to crush into small pieces.
2. Set two pieces of French toast on each plate. Spoon Nutella mascarpone over each piece.
3. Use a spoon to drain pickling liquid off strawberries and let fall naturally over French toast.
4. Sprinkle crushed pistachios over top liberally.
5. Use either a squeeze bottle or a spoon to liberally dress plate with bourbon maple syrup and serve.