Country Style Eggs Benedict English Muffin
Created by Chef Kelly Franz
8 1 oz slices country ham, crisped on a flat griddle
8 eggs, over easy
8 fried green tomato slices
Lump Crab Rémoulade
Pimento Cheese Grits
Fried Green Tomatoes:
½ C buttermilk
3 whole eggs, beaten
¼ C cornmeal
2 C panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced thin
8 green tomato slices, ¼" thick
2 C seasoned all-purpose flour
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 C grits
3 C water or chicken broth
½ C heavy cream
3 Tbsp butter
Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste
Lump Crab Rémoulade:
2 Tbsp red onion, diced small
2 Tbsp red bell pepper, diced small
1 Tbsp green bell pepper, diced small
¼ C mayonnaise
2 tsp creole mustard
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tsp dried thyme
1 lemon, juiced
1 Tbsp fresh chives, sliced
1 Tbsp capers, rinsed
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
½ lb lump crabmeat, picked
1 C jarred diced red pimentos
½ C finely chopped stuffed green olives
8 oz sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine buttermilk and eggs, and set aside.
2. In a separate container, combine cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, and fresh and dry basil and mix well.
3. Using the 3-part process, dredge each sliced green tomato in seasoned all-purpose flour, then buttermilk mixture, and finishing with the cornmeal mixture.
4. Fry in 350° oil for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
Lump Crab Rémoulade
1. Whisk all ingredients except crab together in a mixing bowl.
2. Gently fold lump crab into the mixture. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
2. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
1. Bring water or chicken broth to a boil and add grits.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking.
3. Add heavy cream, butter, salt and ground white pepper to taste.
4. Once grits are fully cooked, fold in pimento cheese.
1. Place both toasted halves of the toasted Thomas’® Sourdough English Muffins in the center of the plate.
2. Top each half with a crispy country ham slice, 1 fried green tomato, 1 over easy egg, and finish with 1 tsp of lump crab rémoulade.
3. Repeat with the remaining 3 Thomas’® Sourdough English Muffins.
4. Serve over pimento cheese grits.