BBQ Veggie Burger
Even the most die-hard meat lovers will fall for this grilled veggie burger like no other.
½ cup raw walnuts
2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for cooking
¼ cup onion, finely diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons brown sugar
¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
½ cup cooked wild rice
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon chives, minced (optional)
Sriracha Mayo (recipe follows)
Sriracha Mayo Ingredients:
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chives, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Sriracha
2. Return skillet to stove over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine cooled toasted walnuts, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and brown sugar. Blend until texture resembles fine meal. Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, add black beans and mash well with a fork, leaving only a few whole beans. Add cooked wild rice, walnut mixture, sautéed onions, bread crumbs and barbecue sauce and mix thoroughly until a moldable dough forms (approximately 1-2 minutes). If dry, add an extra 1-2 tablespoons barbecue sauce. If too wet, add more bread crumbs. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Shape mixture into 4 patties, packing firmly together.
5. Heat grill to high heat. Clean grates, if necessary, reduce heat to medium, brush grill grates with oil and place veggie burgers on grill. Cook with lid closed for 3-4 minutes, or until well-browned on the underside. Reduce heat if cooking/browning too quickly. Flip gently and cook with lid closed an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove burgers from heat to let cool slightly.
6. Prepare Sriracha Mayo. In a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, chives, garlic, lime juice and Sriracha until thoroughly combined.
7. Split English muffins with a fork and grill, split side down, until toasted (approximately 2 minutes). Layer 1 lettuce leaf on each toasted English muffin base, followed by 1 grilled veggie burger. Drizzle with Sriracha Mayo and sprinkle with additional chives, if desired, before topping with toasted English muffin lids.