Abuelo Egg & Ham English Muffin Sandwich
Created by Chef Matthew O’Loughlin
1-2 Slices Fontina Cheese
2 Slices Black Forest Ham, Sliced Extremely Thin
Black Pepper Balsamic Mayo
Black Pepper Balsamic Mayo Recipe:
1 C mayo
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Pinch Milled Black Pepper
Mix ingredients together until well combined.
1. Place a cast-iron skillet on the stove. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Check to see if the skillet is ready by dropping two or three drops of water into it. If the water sizzles and dances around, the skillet is hot enough. Place a couple extremely thin slices of ham into the skillet with tongs. Turn the ham slices over after about 30 seconds. Allow the ham to brown and curl up in the pan. When the surface begins to get crispy and the edges are curly, the frizzled ham is ready.
2. In the same preheated and greased skillet, crack your egg(s) individually into a pan and try to avoid letting the whites run together (connected eggs are more difficult to flip). For over medium eggs, allow the egg to cook for 10-20 seconds. Flip each egg as soon as its base is firm enough for it to be flipped (test it with a spatula). To flip each egg, use a spatula to get under the yolk and support its weight during lifting and flipping. After flipping, let the opposite side cook for 10-20 seconds. The yolk will be slightly firmed but still a bit runny, which adds to the delicious gooey goodness of the sandwich.
3. Split and toast your favorite variety of Thomas’® English Muffins to soft, but crispy, golden brown perfection.
4. Spread black pepper balsamic mayo on either side of the toasted Thomas’® Orginal English Muffin.
5. On the still warm (and just mayo’ed) toasted english muffin bottom, place a slice or two of fontina cheese. Layer on the over-medium eggs and then the grilled black forest ham. Finish it off with the toasted Thomas’® Original English Muffin top and nom nom nom.
6. Be mindful that gooey egg yolks make the sandwich even better, but call for extra caution as you bite. You may want to wear a bib.